Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1/4 cup flour (whole wheat), or cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 lb. frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, skim not recommended for this recipe (please buy the block and shred yourself to avoid waxes)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Yields: 4 Cups | Serving Size: 1 Cup | Calories: 336 | Previous Points: 7 | Points Plus: 8 | Total Fat: 14.8 gm | Saturated Fats: 5.1 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 18 mg | Sodium: 1320 mg | Carbohydrates: 16.3 gm | Dietary Fiber: 3.2 gm | Sugars: 3.1 gm | Protein: 29.6 gm
- In a frying pan, heat your oil, but don’t let it get so hot it smokes. Using a whisk, whisk in the flour a little at a time so that the flour and oil mix well and start to bubble.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, and then remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture into your slow cooker and add the thawed broccoli. We use the frozen broccoli because it seems to hold up better in a slow cooker than the fresh variety. But you can certainly use fresh broccoli as well. Add salt to taste, black pepper and garlic, stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the broccoli is completely cooked. Stir in the cheese, 1 cup at a time, allowing it to melt completely before adding the next cup of cheese.