(FYI, I am not a “runner” I hate running, (I love running)) …
I woke up Saturday morning feeling every day of my nearly 41 years… I had spent the days prior to the run trying to get a good rest and be well hydrated, I’m not sure how successful I was at either. Woke up at 3:00 AM needing to use the restroom…)
On to the race,
The course this year was retained a number of the old challenges, but they did add a few noteworthy changes.
- Spiderweb — early in the race we had to weave through a rope web over 30 yards or so, (nice plus, since I hate running)
- Funky Monkey Bars — Uneven monkey bars… evil
- Added a wall and an elevated cargo net
- Sled pull – Four team members climb the hill, and drag member up in a sled.
After rounding the first two obstacles and about to “stomp the yard” we found a wayward mudder off to the side of the course. With some encouragement she got up and temporarily ran with us until we caught up with the rest of her team and she took off with them. We kept a fair pace until we finished the walls and the swamp crawl. Even with all my pre-hydration strats, 1.5 liters of water and solid pacing, I was feeling the edge of dehydration, I had to pause, and suck down some water before pressing on. It’s not what I wanted to do, but I needed to do. After picking it back up it was off to the swim and the meat of the course.
Mud, more mud and some mud and stuff..
All in all,we have a great time, laughed at stuff, and enjoyed our time together.
Personally while not happy with our time this year, I am very pleased with 2 things,
1. with the exception of the heat killing me, I could tell I was in far better shape this year.
2. to a man I am glad to know that the fellows I hang with are men of solid character and are ready to serve others with out a hint of complaint.